Black Sea Basin Joint Operational Programme

Black Sea - Unity and Diversity in the Roman Antiquity

 

Bulgaria, Varna, Regional Museum of History

 

 

The foundation of Varna Archaeological Museum and its further development are closely connected to the names of brothers Hermin and Karel Škorpil, of Czech origin, who, on  December 12th 1901, together with a group of socially active figures and teachers, established the Varna Archaeological Society. 

 

Throughout its existence of over 120 years, archaeologists of Varna Archaeological Museum have constantly carried out archaeological investigations and excavations on various sites all over Northeastern Bulgaria. At present, Varna Archaeological Museum is in possession of a collection of over 100,000 various artifacts of all past epochs, discovered in the region. The exhibition area of the Museum is 2,150 sq. m, without the storerooms, the library and the Educational Children's Museum.

 

The 2nd-3rd centuries AD Roman Bath of Odessos and the medieval rock monastery — Aladja monastery of the 13th-14th centuries are outdoor museum sections. 

 

The Educational Children's Museum in Varna Archaeological Museum is the first of its kind in Bulgaria, being established in 1983.

 

The library of the Varna Archeological Museum was established in 1906 by the Skorpil brothers and  is among the largest in Bulgaria. Over 300 subscribers, libraries, museums, universities and archeological institutes all over the world, are indexing the yearbook ‘Proceedings of the National Museum — Varna’ (INMV), established in 1907, and the new series Acta Musei Varnaensis, established in 1999.